Thursday 9 February 2012

L U C Y A N D B A R T

'Lucy creates provocative and often grotesquely beautiful imagery that suggests a new breed existing in an alternate world'
(http://www.lucymcrae.net/about/)

'His work is of international stature, he finds and creates its own stage and international collaborations with prestigious names such as Lady Gaga, Palais de Tokyo, Iris van Herpen and Nick Knight.' 
(http://barthess.nl/about/)

My research looking at not only the face but also the body begins with Lucy McRae and Bart Hess. The fashion/art duo tap into new worlds with their innovative designs and they create pieces that challenge you to keep looking despite the want or desire to look away. Within their designs they cover a broad range of subjects such as architecture, fashion, performance and the body. 

In the images they create the transformed human, one which seems to have little clear expression or identifiable emotion in the face. The modification appears only presented by the model rather than fashioned. This creates a strangely unnerving feel and yet addictive in regard to the viewers desire to see more. Something I need to consider when producing my photographs is wether I want to create an emotional bond with my model and reader, or do in fact simply want the work to be presented by my model. I feel relieved to have found the work of McRae and Hess as it has made everything within my research seem that bit clearer.    

Looking at the work of Lucy and Bart creates a wave of excitement for my project. I can't wait to start experimenting with different materials and seeing what I may possibly create. The rest of this week will be filled with trial and error experiments to identify what materials work and which may not. When initially researching work along this route I felt confused about how I could make something completely new and unique. However, after looking at the work of McRae and Hess ,I understand now it is what you are intending to represent and your thought through design that is key.

Below I have selected a few images to show the relevant work of Lucy McRae and Bart Hess.

Images taken from http://lucyandbart.blogspot.co.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment